Saturday, July 31, 2010

As happy as a clam!

I'm sparing a moment of thought for all those women who went before me, slaving away at dead end jobs while maintaining a constant level of poor self-esteem to keep them happy in dead end jobs.  While sometimes my assertiveness and self-satisfaction could be mistaken for arrogance (surely not), I partly attribute this state of mind to all those sisters and mothers who came before me and took the big hits.  So here is my list of thankyous to the sisterhood:
1.  Thankyou for questioning the notion that women have small emotion ridden brains and so can only work as mothers or in menial repetitive service jobs.
2. Thankyou for entertaining the concept that not all ovaries need to be put to good use
3.  Thankyou, and this is from deep in my heart, for absorbing the slings and bows of disdain from those people in your workforce who wished to mock you for your efforts.  A special thankyou for those times that you said: "Enough" and chose to fight back.
4.  Thankyou for not taking everything so seriously and for imparting the notion that a head-cold is not life threatening.
5.  Thankyou for wanting more when others thought you deserved less
6.  Thankyou for passing on a sense of decision and certainty to your daughters, even when you doubted your judgement in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment