Sunday, July 4, 2010

Maybe it should be titled: Don't read anything bigger than your head

Wolf HallImage via Wikipedia
It's taken me six months of staring guiltily at Wolf Hall  by Hilary Mantel (I bought it with a gift certificate), I've started reading.  First five chapters- well that's like reading in a language you're not entirely used to speaking, but pushing ahead with it anyway.  Sloooowwww.  And a lot more demanding than the vampire fiction that I'd been slothing through over the last month or two.

Gotta say it, didn't really give a woolly rats arse about English history, sort of thought it was a bit snooty and over-rated.  I still think it's over-rated (particularly as a resident of one of the "colonies"), but this book has certainly challenged my view of Henry VIII as a portly lad in a phooffy outfit dragging around a turkey drumstick.  I'm going to concede- the Tudors are good pickings for fiction and gotta love how Mantel writes about the women- Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Katherine of Aragon, Mary Boleyn, LizWyks- that is, she really writes about them.

Next step for me, after finishing the book, is watching the miniseries: "The Tudors", wasn't interested before, but ready to give it a go- I hear there's not a turkey leg to be seen. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment