Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Cat-Poo-Coffee", or, "My C21 brush with the French Revolution"

BONDOWOSO, EAST JAVA, INDONESIA - AUGUST 11: A...Image by Getty Images via @daylife

I've been known to do a slightly shady thing or two to get a cup of coffee. Glenn, my partner and main competition for the morning cuppa might have called my devotion "obssessive", but cat-poo coffee takes it that one step further.

Wouldn't think you'd find a world-class roastery in beautiful down-town Yandina, but neither would you expect to be invited to attend the tasting of twenty-dollar thimblefulls of coffee from beans pooped out by Thailand rainforest cats. 'Scuze me? Who found this out? And who collects the poo? What cats eat coffee beans? And are these free range or battery cats?

Coffee-Nazi in charge, aka bigwig barista, didn't appreciate the questions, top of the list was "Why?" Why, why, why, why- did we suddenly get bored with coffee, with ourselves, with regular cup size, or with twenty dollar notes? I've got dogs and they poo- maybe I could open a restaurant." (Too far?)

But come on, look past the fact that I went too far with that last comment and ask yourself: what kind of society do we live in when we beveragize the unthinkable, and, usually undrinkable. Hats off to the the people of Thailand if this is one of their cultural delicacies, and if someone eight thousand kilometres away has contributed to a better way of life through the purchase of a dab of coffee- even better. But if your next high involves playing with poo and paying for it, then maybe it's time you asked yourself: "Am I willing to lose my head to this?"
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment